There’s nothing quite like packing for a holiday, but going through the motions of planning outfits can be a bit overwhelming. You don’t want to be caught out having nothing to wear and you also don’t want to over pack and have that awkward bulk suitcase to carry around — you need versatile simple pieces that you know you'll feel stylish and comfortable in. Here is my list of top packing essentials for a holiday destination like beautiful Hamilton Island where these images were taken.
Words and styling by Sara Donaldson of Harper & Harley
First, separate your outfit scenarios into day and night. You’ll most likely be changing between the two as you’ll either need a refresh post beach or pool time, or post afternoon nap. Yes, I’m all about the beach and afternoon nap time on holidays. Being on holidays can be really exhausting.
• Pack a loose flowy pair of pants or skirt – it’s all about being relaxed after all.
• A top that has a bit of structure so you can go to lunch at a nice restaurant but not feel overdressed when beachside.
• Flat sandals in either black or nude. Something comfortable with straps so that you can wander and discover your destination and not get sore feet.
• A chic day bag big enough for your camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, book, hat, towel … you get the idea.
• A black dress is right for any occasion. The relaxed tie detail on this one pictured is so flattering and a trend that will see us through the next six months.
• Dressy sandals. No need for heels, they never feel right when you are on holidays.
• Simple casual clutch, just big enough for a hotel key, credit card and lip balm.
• Minimal jewellery. An earring or delicate necklace is all it takes. Your skin will be glowing from all those ocean swims and vitamin D, so you wont need much.